It has been stated that details regarding the community's settlement and its founders are unknown.
In its earlier times, Verona was "a thriving business community surrounded by farmlands". The community had a building supply store, a blacksmith, a bank, a creamery, grocery stores, a dry goods store, saloons, tobacco shops, a barber shop, a funeral home, a jail and a post office. +more The community's post office was opened on March 24, 1834, and Verona was incorporated as a city in 1909. The city's incorporation later dissolved when the community's leadership became dormant. The Walton-Verona independent school district was established in 1954.
The Verona CDP occupies the southern corner of Boone County, bordered by Interstate 71 to the northwest, by the Gallatin County line to the southwest, and by the Grant County line, following Bullock Pen Creek, to the south. The original hamlet of Verona is located at the intersection of Kentucky Routes 14 and 16, but the CDP includes a larger rural area surrounding the hamlet. +more It is 6 mi northeast along Routes 14/16 to Walton and 27 mi north to downtown Cincinnati. Walton has the middle and highschool of Walton Verona, verona has the elementary.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Verona has a total area of , of which 32 sqkm is land and 0 sqkm, or 0.76%, is water.