Warneford Hospital, Leamington Spa
The hospital was named after Samuel Wilson Warneford, a philanthropist who donated £3,000 of the £4,000 needed to build the hospital. The foundation stone was laid in 1832 and it opened in 1834. +more It was initially funded either by the patients themselves, by wealthy individual donors or by collections made from the general public.
The maternity unit, the Cay Block, was financed by donations and collections organised by Mrs Annie Cay. The hospital became the main birthplace for local babies after the Cay Block opened in 1939. +more The hospital joined the National Health Service in 1948 and Radio Warneford first broadcast in 1973.